OUR VALUES AND COMMITMENTS
Environmental Code of Conduct
At Hampton, we believe we have an important role to play in making sure forests, the wood products sector, and the communities in which we operate are resilient, robust, and sustainable for generations to come. Our vision of sustainability focuses on the economic, social, and environmental health of communities where:
- – Streams, rivers, and drinking water systems are clean.
- – Land is used efficiently and in ways that create a wide variety of benefits.
- – Renewable resources are promoted and used to support energy, housing, and other needs.
- – All people can earn a living wage and share equally in environmental, social, and cultural benefits.
We operate in a manner that protects the environment and human health and safety. Hampton Family Forests are certified and audited to ensure we meet or exceed environmental standards set forth in the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI). We also recognize that sustainability is a long-term process of continuous improvement. As such, we are committed to the following principles and codes of conduct that meet or exceed local, state, federal, and provincial laws and regulations in order to enhance environmental conservation, safety, public awareness, and quality of life in our communities. This policy extends to all of our operations, from the forest to the mill.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & PROTECTION
- Seek ways to enhance stream habitat and biodiversity on our forestlands in conjunction with sustainable production of forest products.
- Limit the use of herbicides on Hampton forestland, applying the minimum amount necessary to meet vegetation management objectives and ensure young trees are “free to grow” within the time period set by regulators. Herbicide applications beyond necessary roadside maintenance and invasive species control are limited to the first 5 years of a forest’s life cycle.
- Support and engage in forestry research programs and promote the development and adoption of scientifically sound and balanced environmental policies, laws, and regulations.
- Endeavor to improve energy efficiency and reduce the carbon footprint at all our operations, including through use of renewable biomass energy.
- Invest in continuous improvement projects throughout the company, with top priorities being health and safety, waste reduction, energy efficiency, and timber harvest with lower site impacts.
- Participate in continuing education and information sharing to incorporate new science and technology into long-term plans for sustainable resource management.
- Select contractors and vendors who demonstrate shared commitment to safety and environmental protections.
TRANSPARENCY, ACCOUNTABILITY & COOPERATION
- Factor aesthetics and the viewsheds of our neighbors into our harvest plans along with personal and public safety and environmental considerations.
- Communicate with adjacent property owners regarding operations on Hampton forestland in a timely manner.
- Respond promptly and openly to public inquiries about environmental conditions on our forestlands and work in good faith with neighboring communities to address environmental quality concerns.
- Provide advance notice to appropriate local authorities affected by operations related to harvest, site treatment, and road building and share response plans for any operations that could potentially impact a neighboring community.